Rome, Italy Dec. 2012

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Rock to Pier 10k & other happenings..

J-bird & A-dawg... beach bound!
This past weekend all my training finally paid off.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had been working really hard on my training lately, and was really looking forward to my upcoming race, the Rock to Pier 10k in Morro Bay.  I was so excited when one of my best friends, Jennifer (aka J-bird), told me she would run the race with me.  We made plans to head over to the beach on Friday, stay overnight, and race early Saturday morning.  We had a great time at the beach on Friday-- catching up, enjoying each other's company, all while enjoying cooler weather at one of my favorite places! 
We were a little nervous about the weather race morning, as we had just purchased new tanks from our friend Trace's shop (Runner's Booty, if you haven't checked it out.. do so!), and of course we wanted to show them off ;-)  After doing a quick warm-up, we quickly learned that once the run started, we would be fine and didn't need to run in layers.  I was so nervous before starting.  This was something I really wanted.  It was so important to me to reach the goal I had set for myself- run the 10k in under 1 hour, less than a 10 minute mile pace.  This would be my fastest race pace since I've had kids, and in the sand.  But I had worked incredibly hard, so when the gun went off and I was able to get across the timing plates, I was off!  I apparently had quite a bit of adrenalim built up, because my dear friend RunKeeper (an app on my iphone alerted me that my 1st mile was an 8:43).  Now, I would have loved to keep that pace, but I'm just not there yet (one day!).  The sand wasn't too bad, but you can tell from the picture and all the sand stuck to my shoes and calves that I didn't do a great job of keeping dry. I felt great for most of the race though.  Miles 3 and 4 were a bit difficult, but I kept a steady pace.  Somewhere between mile 4 and 5, I thought I could make out my high school coach ahead of me.  We had run into each other earlier that morning, and I was sure that was him ahead of me.   As I kicked in the last half mile and got closer, I learned it was him.  After crossing the finish line, I was able to visit with him and his wife Cathy, which was great.   Oh, and he gave me a hard time for beating him.. but it was only by 39 seconds. Looking forward to meeting up with them later this summer.  Oh, and that goal.. I beat it!!!  I was so excited to see the times posted... 58:21!  1 minute and 39 seconds under my goal.  The only other 10k I have a time for was in Denver a few years ago, and my time there was over 17 minutes slower.  I was super proud of improving my time so drastically!

Jenn did awesome too!  She hadn't even trained for the 10k distance-- it's double what she'd been running, yet she beat her goal as well!  She ran a 1:11, and her goal was 1:15.  I was super proud of her!!  I was yelling like crazy for her at the finish line, eventhough she couldn't hear me over her headphones ;-)
This guy was hanging out in the parking lot at the end of our race


If you're thinking of running a 10k next summer, I definitely reccomend this race.  It's a great race.  If I was around next summer I would do it, but our plans are to travel in July, so we won't be back to the states until August.

Back in Bakersfield, we've been keeping busy with running/biking, visiting with family and friends, and of course trying to keep up with Charlee and Hailee!  I am biking for the rest of the week to try and give my legs some time to heal.  My hamstring is still really sore, and I earned myself some shin splints.  Yesterday I did 11 miles on my bike, and today 20 miles.  Bill does anywhere from 25-45 miles every weekday.  Hailee's done quite a bit of reading and we also got her a math workbook to help get her ready for her new school.  We've also taken the kiddos out for bike rides to the park, Charlee is really doing well on her Strider, spent time at the awesome spray park, and of course got some great ideas from Pinterest.

The summer is flying by!  We have just over a month left until we leave, and our weekend calendar is filling up fast.  Next weekend, we are headed to the beach to hopefully meet up with a dear friend from Colorado.  We also have Hurricane Harbor, Universal Studios, LA, and possibly San Diego on the calendar.  Other than our Eugene trip, the last month has been pretty relaxing.. but I'm thinking we won't be able to say the same about the next month.   But, I think we are okay with that.  I mean, afterall, time flies when you're having fun! ;-) 
  


Charlee sorting cards by color



Just after we had gotten her dressed! Syd's shoes & daddy's hat!

Fun at the park.. her face is so red.. it was so hot!


Charlee's way of beating the heat!

Homemade sidewalk paint.. idea from Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment