Rome, Italy Dec. 2012

Monday, July 2, 2012

Training.. 10k race Saturday!

Since I've been in California, I've really stepped up my training.  Right before leaving Colorado, I finished up the Insanity workouts, which not only improved my overall fitness, but also my running.  I try to run at least 6 days a week, first thing in the morning to try and beat the heat.  The heat, even at 8 or 9 am is brutal.  I honestly think I prefer the altitude to the heat! I guess I shouldn't complain too much though, since I run, and then Bill does his bike rides, so he's out in even tougher to handle temperatures. 

picture courtesy of Pinterest ;)
I've really been trying to push my pace.  Before I got pregnant with Charlee, I lost most of my weight through running (75 lbs!, crazy to think of myself at that weight), and even did a half-marathon.  I completed a half last summer as well (under-trained), but I finished.  At both times in my training, I was cruising along at 11-12:20 mile pace.  I decided that this season, I want to set my goals high, and work hard to achieve them.  It's not about weight loss this time around, (although I do still have some pounds to shed), it's more about my overall fitness level. Bottom line is I want to be fit and I want to be healthy. 

I decided I needed to pick a race to train for.  I chose Morro Bay Rock to Pier 10k (6.1 miles), one of my favorite races from my high school days, and will be running it with one of my closest friends- Jennifer (aka J-Bird).  It's on the beach at 8 am, so it'll be cool and the scenery is right up my alley.  I knew that I needed to set a goal for this race, and I set it high.   The last 10k I ran was Fans on the Field in 2008, and I ran it in 1:15.56, which is 12:12 pace.  My goal is to finish the 6.1 miles on Saturday in under an hour!!  Yes, I know that is a huge jump, but I've been working hard and I believe I can do it.  Everytime I race, I am racing myself.  Trying to get faster and stronger each time I put myself out there.  Yes, my goal would mean a 16 minute PR at this distance and an improved mile pace of over 2 minutes, but my heart is right and I am determined.  Today I ran 4 in the heat faster than my goal pace, proving to myself that I can do this.  We'll see what Saturday brings :)  I'm ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment