Rome, Italy Dec. 2012

Friday, September 7, 2012

A week of firsts!

It's Friday!  The weekend has begun!  Our work week here is Sunday through Thursday, so the weekend is Friday and Saturday.  It's really not that different- 2 days off is 2 days off.  I was going to blog last Sunday, after our first day, but I was wiped out.  Still getting used to the time change, I guess.
School is going well.  I have some great kids.  The funnest thing is they LOVE telling me about places I should go in Jordan and teaching me Arabic.  I teach them, they teach me.  I love it!  My tutor group, like a homeroom, is 10th graders and they are a bit more challenging.  But, I really am enjoying them.. and I'm always up for a challenge!
I asked Hailee to blog about her first day, and she actually wrote in on the first day of school (mommy is the slacker).  Here is what she wrote-
Today was my 1s t   day. It was extraordinary   day!  Everybody   was so   nice! I   already   have   so  many  friends!  While   I was in religion   almost everybody came up to me and introduced themselves.So I had a absolutely positively quite amazing day!          



I love that she's taking religion.  She's in the Christianity group so she's actually  studying the Bible.  She will also be taking a beginner's Arabic class.  There was a little hang up with her Arabic class in the beginning, but we got it all worked out, and she starts the correct level on Monday.  I was also told by her principal that her entrance exam tests place her at the top of her class.  We are so proud of her and her eagerness to learn!



Some other firsts this week-
-Bill went out on his first group ride in Jordan today with Nader bikes.  The group was really impressed with his fitness!  He is a pretty dedicated athlete.. Nelson family trait I guess ;)
- I got out for my first run.. second now!  But my goodness.. Amman is built on hills and these are some serious hills. The bike paths I ran on in Colorado and streets in Bakersfield don't even compare!  I'm hoping to run the Dead to Red (Dead Sea to Red Sea) w/ some staff members, so I need to get my fitness back.  Working on it!
-First drink in Jordan! (haha...had to celebrate the end of our first week)
-Hailee had her first play date at a friend's house w/ a friend from school.  The mom asked me yesterday at pick up and the girls were so excited I just couldn't say no. It was a bit worrisome for mom, not knowing exactly where she was, but I had the mom talk to our driver, so he knew where she was. He picked her up and brought her home, where we are all waiting outside to greet her.  She had a great time :)
- We will be attending our first party tonight, and the girl's have a babysitter for the first time.  The babysitter is one of my boss's daughters and lives across the hall.  The party is actually at my principal's, which is the rooftop of our apartment. 
-Tomorrow I will be going to a Turkish bath, Al Pasha, with some friends for the first time.  I can't wait!! 

                         
Not sure when the honeymoon phase ends but we are over two weeks in and still feel as if everyday is an adventure!

p.s. The girls are currently watching Nickelodeon cartoons in Arabic.  Hailee said they don't care what language it's in. Who knows.. maybe Charlee will be billingual ;)
New foods! First time we tried this wrap style bread..check out the size of it!
As Charlee calls her, "My Gina" and I enjoying a Thursday afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment