Rome, Italy Dec. 2012

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Public Restrooms in Italy

I guess I'm spoiled coming from the states, okay, I know I am in many regards!

But one thing I don't understand in  Italy is public restrooms.  First of all, they are few and far between.  You may recall that Charlee is only 2 and hasn't been potty-trained for long.  For those non-parents reading this post, this means when she has to go, she has to go now! However, you first have to look for a bar (p.s. not an American bar, more like a restaurant), and then hope they'll let you use the restroom.  Oh, and ask for a toilet not a restroom, as restroom is not a word many use outside of the states. 

Here's the kicker, many of them use it for business.  They know they are the only place around with a public restroom, and will make you buy something in order to use the restroom.  We've had a few that have made an exception for our cute smiling girls, but not many.  One in fact, wanted me to buy something first, until I got angry and even though he didn't understand English, I think he understood this mom was not happy! 

Here's the real kicker- we have PAID to use the restroom twice now!  Yes, I guess there truly is a first time for everything.  At the food court at one of the terminals, we rushed into the bathroom only to run into a man standing there with a cash register!  I was sure I must of went down the wrong hallway, but nope, it was his job to collect 0.50 E from anyone who wished to enter.  You could be reimbursed if you bought food, or if you had already bought food you could use your receipt for entry, but it was all still pretty crazy.  The same was true at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, except no reimbursement.  Kindly though, they let kids pee for free :)

No comments:

Post a Comment