Rome, Italy Dec. 2012

Saturday, August 25, 2012

First day of work in Amman!

Today was my first official day at work.  Yep, I know it's a Saturday.  The normal work week here in Amman is Sunday through Thursday, and new staff reported a day before returning staff.  It was an orientation day, so my day was filled with learning about Jordan, the school- IAA (International Academy-Amman),and other housekeeping items such as arranging a driver. It was a pretty low key day, but much different than what I'm used to. Instead of just going over school procedures and policies or curriculum, we were also briefed on the country and culture. I am very excited about working with IAA. I miss my Eagle County colleagues dearly, but am excited to work with some of the wonderful people I've met over the last few days.  Because international teachers typically sign 2 year contracts and move on to a new school in a new country, I'm not sure as an international teacher I will ever get that sense of family I had at GCMS. But, there are other great things that are brought to the table.  One of which is the many nationalities I work with. I love the varying accents of my colleagues, as well as learning about their home countries- New Zealand, Great Britain, of course the great US of A, Ireland, Australia, and the list continues.  I'm also excited to learn more about the school and the MYP and IB curriculum. We took a tour of the school and it is fabulous! One of my favorite parts of the school is the sport's complex.  State-of-the-art track, swimming pool, basketball court, cardio room for teachers, etc. I can't wait to use the facilities!

Bill and the girls walked to the mall today.  Their stories of their interactions with the locals make me smile.  Jordanian people are so welcoming, it really is quite wonderful. The checker at the grocery store put out her hands for Bill to hand her Charlee so that she could give her a hug. Charlee, being the sweet girl she is, kissed her on the cheek.

Hailee has become very excited about learning Arabic, so she can better communicate with the locals.  I had a sheet of local phrases and she's been practicing them since I've been home.

Tomorrow the family will go to work with me in the morning. During my morning meeting they will be entertained, and then we will all head off sight to take some necessary steps to obtain our visas and set-up our bank accounts.  After that we will get a tour of Amman, and then dropped off back at the apartment.  Hailee should also get her school uniform tomorrow, which she is excited about. Only one more week until she starts school!



No comments:

Post a Comment