Rome, Italy Dec. 2012

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The day I 'accidentally' went for a longer then planned run in Amman

Normally our weekend is Friday, Saturday but due to snow day make-ups Hailee had school today (Sat.). A week off of school for 2 days of snow fall ---> Awesome.
Snow day make-ups ---> Boo.   
For secondary school, our students used to get out at 1:30 on Tuesday, followed by staff meetings until 4. Now, students stay until 3:15, so the periods on Tuesdays are extended for the remainder of the school year.  Block periods on Tuesday are now 1 hour and 40 minutes! Extending Tuesdays wasn't enough make-up time for primary, so this why Hailee had school today.  

Luckily Bill got up with Hailee this morning, and although I couldn't go back to sleep, I enjoyed my nice warm bed for awhile longer.  I knew when I got up I would need to head out for my weekly long run, so I was taking my sweet time. 

As I set out I decided I wanted to try a different route.  So I took a few too many turns and although I knew where I was (without a clear plan of how I was going to get back), I had greatly extended my run! I was feeling really good so I decided to keep going but couldn't find the turn off I was looking for so had to turn around and head back the way I came. 

I should add that running outdoors is not common in Amman. Women running outdoors in Amman is even less common. I might see 2 other women running outside in a full month's time. You can imagine the 'slow down and stares' I got as I ran back up a busy street against traffic.  And eww.. the smell when I passed a guy draining a sewer and had to step over wet.. yuck I really hope it wasn't what I thought it was.  

Lots and lots of hills. In the picture I had started at an elevation around the height of the bridge in the picture.  Lots of climbing to get back!  

When I got near the house I realized I had almost hit 5 miles so decided to add my normal loop which took met to 5.3 miles!  Yay!!  It actually was a pretty good run and I'm not a huge fan of long runs in Amman.  Too many hills + very little green (if any) + traffic are not my cup of tea, but today was definitely a fun adventure!  AND I saw green. Bonus points! 


No comments:

Post a Comment